Boiler Scrappage Vouchers (Scotland)
Thinking of replacing your old boiler? Did you know you can apply for a £400 voucher towards the cost?
Scotland has one of the most ambitious CO2 emission reduction targets in the world. The installation of an efficient heating system is one effective way of reducing your household energy bills and CO2 emissions. There are currently an estimated 250,000 homes in Scotland that have boilers of the least efficient type (efficiency of less than 70%).
To help address this, the Scottish Government has announced funding for the boiler scrappage scheme for home owners in Scotland. Scrappage schemes work by helping to meet the cost of replacing inefficient equipment with new more efficient alternatives.
In addition to this £400 some boiler installers, manufacturers, suppliers and utility companies are offering a further discount to those awarded boiler scrappage vouchers.
The installer must be Gas Safe registered for boiler installations (for a gas installation) and OFTEC registered (for oil installations) and should be a member of a recognised industry body such as CLE or SNIPEF.
How do I get it?
Obtain a written quotation from your installer before making your application. You have 18 weeks to claim the voucher from the offer date and as long as the voucher is claimed by this date and the installer and replacement system meet the self-certified eligibility criteria your voucher will be considered for payment. We recommend you obtain at least 3 quotations for your boiler replacement on order to get the best value for money.
What are the benefits?
- Lower running costs
- Reduced CO2 emissions
- Lower energy bills
- A more comfortable home environment.
This means that by upgrading an existing gas boiler with a SAP2009 efficiency of less than 70% to an Energy Saving Trust Recommended one, your household heating bill could drop by about a quarter – a saving of £185 a year or £225 for an average 3 bed semi-detached house.
Who can apply?
To qualify for the Scottish boiler scrappage scheme you must meet the following criteria,
- Replacing a working boiler with a SAP2009 efficiency rating of less than 70% as detailed on www.sedbuk.com. (If you are aged over 60 and have an inoperative boiler with a SAP2009 efficiency rating of less than 70%, you may still apply.)
- You must be installing an Energy Saving Trust Recommended boiler or a Microgeneration Certification Scheme accredited microgeneration technology.
- The property where the boiler is to be installed must be a domestic address in Scotland.
- You must be the owner and occupier of the residential property (in Scotland) in which the new boiler will be installed.
- You must have received a written/verbal quotation for your boiler replacement before making an application.
- You must make an application and receive your voucher before having the boiler replaced.
- Work on the installation must not have commenced before the date on which the rebate voucher is received.
- You have not received, or will you be receiving, any other loan/grant support from the Scottish Government or any funding under the Carbon Emissions Reduction Target (CERT).
- The installer must be Gas Safe registered for boiler installations (for a gas installation) and OFTEC registered (for oil installations) and should be a member of a recognised industry body such as CLE or SNIPEF Installation of a microgeneration technology must be carried out by a person qualified under the Microgeneration Certification Scheme.
How do I apply?
Once you have checked the eligibility criteria you should,
- Obtain a quote for your boiler replacement.
- Apply for a voucher online or by telephone on 0800 512 012.
- Seek other quotes to gain value for money and arrange the installation of your new boiler.
- Pay for the boiler and installation work. Only once you are satisfied with your installation.
- Claim back the £400 by sending the completed voucher and invoice within 18 weeks.
For more information on boiler scrappage schemes visit www.energysavingtrust.org.uk/scotland