Do I Need Permission - Ask An Expert what is permitted development for a childminder registered for more than 6 children working from home. I am trying to establish if I need to apply for planning permission or not. what criteria should I be considering to make this decision.
Question Posted By – pauline russell In Area – North East Scotland

  1. Do I Need PermissionDo I Need Permission03-18-2014

    Hello Pauline.

    This is going to come under the class uses permitted for buildings.

    Your home is classed as class 9 (residential)

    Class 9 use description

    •House, other than a flat, whether or not as a sole or main residence, by-
    •A single person or by people living together as a family, or
    •Not more than 5 residents living together including a household where care is provided for residents;

    •Bed and breakfast establishment or guesthouse, not in either case being carried out in a flat where at any one time not more than 2 bedrooms are, or in the case of premises having less than 4 bedrooms 1 bedroom is, used for that purpose.

    To use the building for any other purpose you would have to apply for a partial change of use.

    Due to the number of children and the fact you are probably only using 1-2 rooms for this purpose I would suggest no change of use is required. However I would recommend contacting your local planning department to confirm this.

    Note it may come down to how you describe the use. A crèche, day nursery or day centre would come under class10 and would require a change of use.

    Thanks for using Do I Need Permission.

Leave a Reply

Please type the characters of this captcha image in the input box

Please type the characters of this captcha image in the input box