Proposed Utility/Cloakroom

Proposed Utility/Cloakroom

Do I Need Permission - Ask An Expert I am currently looking into converting my old kitchen into a utility room and cloakroom with partition wall. This room is already below the only bathroom in a detached (1 2/3 storey) house and the proposed place for the wc would lie directly under the one upstairs, therefore the soil pipe runs down the same wall.

I would really appreciate it if you could help me understand whether I require any permission to do this alteration.
Question Posted By – Karen Allan In Area – North West Scotland

  1. Do I Need PermissionDo I Need Permission06-25-2014

    Hello Karen.

    As long as you don’t live in a listed building, in a conservation area or your property is part of a flat or apartment your would not need planning permission for this alteration.

    With regards to building warrant there are some works you can do where a warrant is not required these include.

    • work external to, but immediately adjoining, the house (e.g. patio, decking, wall, fence,
    steps or ramp)
    • small penetrations of the external walls or roof (e.g. balanced flues, sanitary pipework,
    mechanical extract ducts or vent pipes)
    • small attachments to the external walls (e.g. canopies or micro-renewables)
    • erection, demolition or alteration of non-loadbearing partitions
    • electrical work
    • an en-suite bathroom or shower room (including associated drainage)
    • a central heating system.

    If you are forming the utility room and WC within the existing room and not altering any loadbearing elements of the building it is unlikely you would need a building warrant.

    Note although a building warrant may not be required the works you carry out should still meet building regulations.

    Thanks for using Do I Need Permission.

Leave a Reply

Please type the characters of this captcha image in the input box

Please type the characters of this captcha image in the input box